Saturday, January 29, 2011

January Scripture Hero- Ammon

Last week I was in charge of sharing time. This year the Primary Theme is "I Know the Scriptures are True." Our Primary Presidency decided to have a monthly "Scripture Hero" visit our Primary children. I asked Garrett Messerly, one of the younger newlyweds from our ward, if he wouldn't mind dressing up as "Ammon" in the Book of Mormon. I gave him a "Hercules"costume from this past Halloween that Jared wore. Brother Messerly did amazing! First off, I've never heard our Primary kids so quiet! Ammon entered the Primary room through the shiny gold curtain and the kids watched wide eyed and open mouthed throughout the entire presentation. He told his story in third person, not revealing who he was until the children guessed at the very end. Here are some little facts about our hero "Ammon:"

Ammon was a son of King Mosiah. He was an unbeliever who sought to destroy the Church. An angel appeared to him and his compaions. He repented and began preaching the word of God. He refused to be named king and went instead to the land of the Lamanites to preach the word of God. He was taken bound to King Lamoni. He became a servant to King Lamoni and saved his flocks. He preached to King Lamoni. He rejoiced in being an instrument in God's hands and brought thousands to the truth.

It was such a neat experience. I hope the children get excited to see who is coming each month....I know I will be.

I love the Primary Theme this year. I have grown up in the church my entire life but always had a hard time putting all the stories in the scriptures together. This monthly scripture hero is going to be a great way to bring the scriptures to life in our Primary. I hope they can remember these experiences for years to come and get them excited to read the scriptures. One of my goals this year along with our Primary is to not only finish the Book of Mormon, but to read from the scriptures daily with our family. I am finding it is possible, even with three kids under the age of 4. The kids actually are the ones to remind Jared and I first when we get ready for bed each night!

3 comments:

Kendra said...

That's a really cool thing your primary is doing. I kind of laughed when I saw who you asked to do it for this month. Garrett and Shelly used to be in our ward in Cedar City! Garrett and Jared (my husband) co-taught the 16-17 year old Sunday School class for a little while before they moved. Tell them hi for us!

Nate&Bobbi said...

What a cute idea! I love it!

Astyn said...

I love the costume. A few months ago I had my husband dress up as Nephi and tell about getting the plates and being led by the spirit. You are right that it just captivates the primary children. Thanks for posting this, it has given me new ideas for sharing time this year. I love it!