Santa has pretty much finished his shopping early this year! I decided to hit the sack early and set my alarm for 3 am just in case I changed my mind and wanted to join in on the Black Friday madness. At 1 am I woke up to get a drink of water and some medicine. I laid back down in bed and I heard one of our cell phones turn off. I turned to Jared and asked him if that was his phone and he just kinda groaned......that all too familiar nightmarish groan. After that all I remember is jumping out of bed, flipping on the lights and staring at Jared convulsing in bed. I was standing there frozen thinking is this really happening again. I ran over and cleared everything out of his way, yelling his name for any kind of response, trying to roll his huge 6'3 foot body onto his left side so he wouldn't choke. The seizure only lasted a minute and then his eyes glazed over, pupils dilated and he wasn't responding. The first thing I did was grabbed my cell phone and called his Mom in a panic. She had been there when Jared had his first 2 seizures 13 years ago. We were just barely married and visiting my family up in Salt Lake when he had his 3rd seizure 3 1/2 years ago. I was traumatized for weeks after that one. Comparing the two this one was not as bad. I think I called more in asking if I should wait it out until he was coherent or if I should call 911. She told me to call the paramedics. They came within minutes bringing an ambulance and fire truck loaded with 7 men. By then Jared was still groggy and just watched in confusion as everyone came in. They asked him questions and he didn't know any answers. They took bloodwork, gave him oxygen and 15 minutes later he was starting to answer questions correctly. Last time he didn't come out of it until he was on the stretcher in the ambulance. One of the firefighters just so happened to be an old elementary school friend of his, "Lucky" Lewis. The paramedics waited it out and contacted his doctor. We felt it was ok for us to drive him to the hospital. His Dad stayed with the girls. I am still amazed that neither one of the girls ever woke up during the whole event. Cassidy usually wakes up around that time every single night and comes hops in our bed. I feel so blessed that she wasn't there when it happened. His Mom and I took him to Mercy Gilbert hospital. He said his back and arms were in excruciating pain. They tried 4 times with 2 different nurses to put an IV in him. He's deathly afraid of needles and would tense up. After trying the baby gauge needle they were successful! The doctor put him on seizure medication and 4 hours later we were back home in bed. He pretty much slept the entire day feeling extremely fatigued. Now we are waiting until Monday to meet with his neurologist, dreading all the tests that he will be going through again. I am praying that his doctor will allow him to drive. His last seizure he wasn't able to drive for 3 months. It was so hard to get him to everywhere he needed to go back then. That was back when he worked a mile away and we had no kids. I just started crying thinking about loading the girls up each morning to drive him into downtown Mesa, pick him up after work and drive out to ASU for his classes and then pick him up again at 10:30pm when he's done, including Saturdays. I just don't know how I can do it! The rest of Friday I read up on Seizures and similar stories to his. I really think that his are caused by his poor sleep habits and possibly even sleep apnea. It's a scary thing to watch someone you love have a seizure. However this time I feel ok about everything. The doctors have never figured out why he has them even after all his EKG's, CAT scans, sleep tests and blood work. After reading up on things, I don't know if they ever will find a reason. He's not looking forward to being on medication agains since it makes him so tired all the time. I am just glad that I was there when it happened, that both girls slept through the entire thing, that his seizure only lasted a minute this time instead of 5, that he didn't have to be taken away in the ambulance, that we only spent 4 hours in the emergency room and that he is up and going like nothing ever happened today! We'll see what happens on Monday!
Saturday, November 28, 2009
Black Friday Scare!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
It is after midnight, but I've been up writing a talk for church tomorrow & I needed to wind down a bit before bed & saw your post! SCARY! I'm so sorry. I will keep Jared in my prayers. I hope that everything goes good at the Dr. Monday. I can't imagine going through this, but I'm also glad that your girls were able to sleep through this & sounds like his parents were able to come over quickly to help! Please keep us updated on everything!
OH MY GOSH!!!! heidi i can't believe the things you do. AMAZING!!! hope all goes well, and if you need anything, well, there isn't anything i can do:) ha ha ha ha...but if you ever need someone to make you laugh, i am HERE!!! ha ha ha ah ha..just saying!!! WOW!!! super woman!!!
So scary! Megan had a seizure when she was one years old from a high fever and that was really traumatic! I'll pray for your family so he can drive. That would be stressful to take him everywhere. Dale works near the airport. If he goes to school in the morning...maybe Dale could drop him off on his way to work or pick him up after work?
Oh my gosh! That is SOOO scary! I would have totally freaked out!!! That is so good the girls didn't wake up! I hope all goes well with his neurology appointment! Stay strong girl! If you do end up having to drive him places, please let me help you! I can come be with your kids if you have to go pick him up late at night.
Yikes! I'm sorry that you guys had such a scary thanksgiving! I hope everything goes well with the testing. That is very scary.
I am so glad that the girls didn't wake up for that, it is a scary thing to see a seizure for an adult -- I can't imagine if your girls having to see their dad! Keep us up to date on the driving situation, we can help, maaybe Jake could run go get him at 10, or we could help with the girls -- hang in there, we will keep your family in our prayers!
I am so glad that things worked out that night. I hope all goes well at the doctors and the tests. Let us know if you need anything. Not sure what nights he has classes but maybe Brian and him could carpool if they are on the same night.
I'm sorry Heidi. I hope everything goes well with the Dr. I'll be thinking of you!
How scary! What a blessing that you were awake and were able to do what you did! We'll be thinking of you guys!
I'm glad that you all are doing well now. How scary. We'll be thinking of you guys.
Post a Comment