Monday, May 5, 2008

Andre House

This weekend I had a neat opportunity to take our Mia Maid class to Downtown Phoenix and help out at a Soup Kitchen to feed the homeless. We had a majority of our girls there, us advisors and our husbands.We arrived at 3:00 and started buttering bread, wrapping the utensils, setting up the dining room. Sorting through the donated bread to get rid of anything moldy. We also layed out donated books that the homeless could sort through....there happened to be a couple Book of Mormons in the stack! Jared & Danny were on baked bean duty and preparing the gulosh! We served dinner from 5:30-6:30 and then cleaned up the place. I was pretty exhausted by the end!All of us girls manning our stations ready to feed the 400 people lined up outside the building. The dinner actually looked pretty good. It was Goulosh night, with baked beans (a specialty), salad, 2 pieces of buttered bread, gogurt, and a piece of angel food cake! Not too bad of a meal!
Afterwards we went to In-N-Out Burger! Overall it was a really neat experience. I was a little nervous going in, but soon realized that these homeless people were so grateful to have a warm meal each night. Their only requirement was to have a ticket and to wait in line. I would have never guessed some of them were without a home. It made me grateful for all that the Lord has blessed me with. Wonderful parents who taught me well, provided me with an education and endless support. The Andre House is solely run on volunteers 6 nights a week. All the girls couldn't stop smiling. They couldn't wait to go back and help again!

4 comments:

Julia M. said...

That sounds like such a fabulous activity! I bet you were exhausted by the end, but it sounds so fulfilling. Working with the Young Women is so rewarding--I'm sure you're the best leader! They are so lucky to have you.

Rosies said...

How fun Heidi. I am also in young womens we need to exchange ideas!!! How are you feeling? Are you getting excited for that baby of yours?

Nicole said...

Go Miamaids! You guys are awesome!

Hayden and Kelly said...

Heidi: AWESOME project! You look great! How much longer? You feeling OK?